Jordu Schell has been pushing clay around for a while and knows a thing or two about sculpting.
Creating concepts for characters and creatures, masks, makeups and beautifully crafted designs, he also teaches his craft all over the world and has recently released the first of a series of downloadable books The Professional Creature Design Handbook.
In this podcast we chat about:
- The headspace of sculpting
- The frustration of failing and why it matters
- Using nature as inspiration and reference
- The pitfalls of copying styles
(Aping the style without understanding the deeper truth behind it)
- Teaching and learning styles around the world
The other sculptors mentioned are:
- Sazen Lee: https://www.instagram.com/sazenlee/
- Toi Ogunyoku: https://www.toiogunyokuart.com/
- Amelia Rowcroft: https://www.ameliarowcroft.com/
The book Todd mentioned was by Uldis Zarins and Sandis Kondrats Anatomy For Sculptors: https://anatomy4sculptors.com/
Subscribe in your podcatcher to make sure you don’t miss the latest episodes!
Thanks for listening
Stuart & Todd